The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation supports free expression, arts, culture, democracy, and the success of American communities through strategic grant funding in 26 cities across the... Read More
At a Glance
Aflac prides itself on being a vital part of each of the communities its team members call home.
Aflac Group’s grant program focuses on supporting organizations with a local, rather than a national or international, perspective. Aflac Group accepts grant proposals from nonprofit organizations located in and serving South Carolina.
The Aflac grants committee is comprised of a dedicated group of community-minded employee volunteers. Central Carolina Community Foundation staff provides administrative support for the Aflac grants committee and the Aflac Charitable Fund.
NEW: Learn more about the Aflac grant, revised criteria, and tips for the application in this information session recording (20 minutes long).
- An organization may only submit one application per cycle.
- REVISED CRITERIA: All applicant organizations must:
- Have a physical location in South Carolina.
- Be determined as a charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code for at least one year (based on date application submitted).
- Have at least one paid staff person who dedicates a minimum of 20 hours a week to the organization (not contract worker or consultant).
- Have an annual operating budget of $25,000 or higher based on the previous fiscal year’s budget.
- Request for sponsorships or funding for an event that is primarily for fundraising for the organization (such as a 5k run) will not be accepted.
- If an organization has received an Aflac grant recently, they are eligible to apply for another grant AFTER their full grant period ends and upon submission of their final report. Refer to your grant agreement to see when your grant period ends. In general, organizations that received a grant in the Fall 2022 cycle (program year January – December 2023) or earlier are eligible to apply for this current cycle. Contact [email protected] if you have questions about your eligibility.
- Any organization that received funding in the last year directly from Aflac for a program or event sponsorship may not be eligible to apply for a competitive grant. Reach out to your contact at Aflac if you have questions about eligibility.
- Any organization that is declined can reapply in future grant cycles. The original application will not automatically roll over the next cycle for consideration.
- Your organization must comply with the annual registration and financial reporting requirements for charitable organizations of the South Carolina Secretary of State and must be in compliance with all regulations of the South Carolina Secretary of State.
Eligible Programs Areas
- Health & Well-Being (Preference will be given to pediatric cancer and services for their families)
- Education (Preference will be given to life skills and traditional educational programs supporting school-aged children)
We Do Not Fund
- Schools (K-12, Colleges, Universities)
- Events (including fundraisers and one-day or one-weekend community events or camps)
- September 1, 2023 – Application Opens
- September 15, 2023 – Application Closes (NOTE THE DATE CHANGE)
- Mid-November 2023 – Applicants notified of awards or declinations
- January 1, 2024 – Program Starts (activities and expenses can begin any time after this date)
- December 31, 2024 – Program Ends (activities and expenses must end)
- January 15, 2025 – Final Report Due
- March 1, 2024 – Application Opens
- March 15, 2024 – Application Closes (NOTE THE SHORTENED DEADLINE)
- Mid June 2024 – Applicants notified of awards or declinations
- July 1, 2024 – Program Starts (activities and expenses can begin any time after this date)
- June 30, 2025 – Program Ends (activities and expenses must end)
- July 15, 2025 – Final Report Due
The Fall 2024 Cycle for the Aflac Charitable Fund Competitive Grant will accept new applications in September 1-15, 2024 for program dates of January – December, 2025. (Subject to change.)
Grants awarded from Aflac through Central Carolina Community Foundation range from $1,000 to $10,000. Please do not submit a proposal exceeding $10,000. For funding requests outside the stated parameters (program area or amount), please contact Halie Brazier at [email protected].
Apply for a Grant
Sample applications questions can be viewed here. Applications questions and components are subject to change.
All applications will be submitted through the online form in the grant portal. You are encouraged to review the entire application prior to entering information, and you will be able to log out and return to complete your application in this system. Once the application has been submitted, you will not be able to go back and make any corrections. We recommend you complete and save the narrative portions in another Word-based document and then copy and paste them into the application in case of technological issues.
In addition to the online application, the Aflac Community Giving Form must be completed. See the link below to access the form to be downloaded, completed, and uploaded with the supporting documents at the end of the online application.
The application is considered incomplete if the required Aflac Community Giving Form is not completed and attached.
Information for Current Grant Recipients
Grantees who received their grant for program start date January 1, 2022, and after will complete all forms in the grant portal. Your original application, grant agreement, and any other documents related to your grant are saved on your organization’s dashboard. Please contact Halie Brazier at [email protected] if there are any issues with access to the portal.