Kershaw County Endowment Awards $3,500 in Grants
January 31, 2014
Kershaw County Endowment, which operates under the umbrella of Central Carolina Community Foundation, announces grants totaling $3,500 to five philanthropic organizations including Food for the Soul Kershaw County, Girl Scouts of South Carolina Mountains to Midlands, Harvest Hope Food Bank. Sistercare Inc. and The Upton Trio.
With a strong presence in the Kershaw community, these organizations plan to use the funding for various philanthropic endeavors:
- Food for the Soul, which provides meals for needy residents in Kershaw County, will provide plants, tools and supplies necessary for maintaining the Frank J. Griffith Food for the Soul Friendship Garden.
- The Girl Scouts’ Healthy Living Program will co-host four different healthy living events during the membership year for Girl Scouts in Kershaw County.
- Harvest Hope Food Bank will continue to provide the Mobile Food Pantry in Kershaw County. The mobile food pantry transports food and related items to people living in South Carolina’s rural communities.
- Sistercare’s Economics Against Abuse project works with survivors of domestic violence to assist them in becoming self-sufficient by attaining economic, emotional and financial independence, thus allowing them to leave their abusive relationship.
- The Upton Trio has commissioned a composition inspired by the history of the American space program, which will be performed in auditoriums for all fourth and fifth grade in Kershaw County schools, plus two middle schools and one high school.
“We are pleased to be able to award funding to such diverse and dedicated organizations,” said Pauline W. Lampshire, Kershaw County Endowment Chair. “These organizations enrich the Kershaw community and these special programs will help further the mission of the Kershaw County Endowment as well as Central Carolina Community Foundation.”
Earnings from Kershaw County Endowment provide grants to meet community needs within Kershaw County by helping existing charitable programs and nonprofit organizations. A local, volunteer Board of Advisors guides the Kershaw County Endowment with technical assistance and management support services provided by Central Carolina Community Foundation staff. The Endowment recently welcomed a new board member, Gracie L. Adamson from Cassatt, South Carolina.