Fred Harmon started his scholarship fund to foster a new generation of civic-minded innovators.Read more
Lynches River Conservation
The Lynches River Conservation Board is accepting proposals to fund land acquisition/conservation projects in the South Carolina region of the Lynches River watershed. Supported projects will be those that improve the water quality and ecological integrity of the Lynches River watershed.
The Lynches River Conservation Board consists of an elected official and representatives from Conservation Voters of South Carolina, South Carolina Coastal Conservation League, Winyah Rivers Foundation, South Carolina Wildlife Federation, National Wildlife Federation and Hailie Corporation.
Grants will be awarded on an annual basis and determined by the Lynches River Conservation Board. This grant is intended to fund up to the full amount of land acquisition costs; however, preference will be given to organizations with multiple sources of funding. Total amount available for granting over four years (2018-2021) is $4,000,000, with $1,000,000 available annually. Applicants may propose projects larger than $1,000,000, with project funding disbursed in annual installments depending on the progress of the land acquisition.
Grants are available to 501(c)3 or government entities. If the applicant is a land trust, preference is given to those accredited by Land Trust Accreditation Commission.
- September 29, 2017 | Deadline to submit applications online. Paper copies will not be accepted.
- October 2017 - January 2018 | The Lynches River Conservation Board reviews applications. All applicants must be available during this time period to provide a timely (within two business days) response to any questions posed by the committee.
- January 31, 2018 | Finalists are notified. All finalists must then conduct due diligence (e.g., appraisal, survey, ESA, title commitment) for the property. Only those costs encumbered after notification of selection as a finalist are reimbursable, with the exception of an appraisal for conservation which can be conducted after July 1, 2017.
- March 2018 | Finalists interviewed by the Board
- April 1, 2018| Awardees will be selected among the finalists and notified by this date. If awarded, this grant funding may reimburse due diligence costs (those completed after January 31, 2018 or appraisals after July 1, 2017) and/or the purchase price of a specified property or its conservation easement.
NOTE: You will not be able to save changes to your application. Once you begin, it must be finished (or you will have to start over). Please review the application in full in order to assemble the necessary information beforehand. In addition, below is a list of the documents you will need to upload. Please have these completed before you start your application.
Applications for the Lynches River Conservation grant are closed.
The following documents must be uploaded with the online application:
- Project Narrative- You must use this form
- Property location on a county map
- Property location on a watershed map
- Target Property Contact Information Form- You must use this form
- Signed affidavit that all adjoining landowners have been notified (Required by statute Code Sec. 48-59-70)- You must use this form
- Estimated value of land (include substantiation). The final grant will be based on an appraisal for conservation from a certified appraiser.
- Land Acquisition project budget (including due diligence, acquisition cost, and any other costs)
- Images of proposed land acquisition to include geomapping and digital pictures
- Annual organization operating budget
- Board of Directors list including position and occupation. Please disclose any potential conflicts of interest this land acquisition would pose for any Board members
- Aerial photographs or other pictures that illustrate land value
All grants are administered by Central Carolina Community Foundation. Questions can be directed to Erin Johnson, Vice President of Community Investment, 803-254-5601 x 322 or email@example.com.
Note: The following documents are not required with the application, however The Lynches River Conservation Board may ask for these documents if additional information is needed.
- Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) tax exemption letter OR fiscal sponsorship agreement
- Timber cruise or stand report
- Charitable registration letter from the South Carolina Secretary of State's Public Charities Section or a current letter stating that our organization is exempt from registration
- Vision, values and mission statement
- Audited Financial Statements (Form 990)
- Current strategic plan
- Current annual report
- Staff listing