Our Top Tips for a Standout Grant Application
September 17, 2020
Are you seeking a grant for your organization but are unsure where to start? We’re here to help! Our Community Investment Team shared their top tips to make your grant application stand out
Before you start:
- Thoroughly review the Central Carolina Community Foundation grants and scholarship webpages, including the grant guidelines.
- Attend the annual grant overview webinar (or view the recording) and any other required information sessions.
- If you still have questions after you have reviewed the website, give our team a call at 803.254.5601.
Our top tips for grant writing:
- Ask someone outside your organization or your department (who is willing to provide critical feedback) to review your proposal for clarity and grammar.
- Ask yourself, “Is this an interesting idea? Would my friends, family and neighbors want to attend/participate in/visit something like this?”
- Generate support and interest for your project before it is funded. When possible, secure good-faith commitments from partners, hosts, sponsors, and other funders.
- Develop your elevator speech. You should be able to succinctly describe your project in three sentences.
- Stay away from jargon. People who are unfamiliar with your work should be able to understand your proposal.
- Data is good. Too much data is not good. Make your point and move on.
- Don’t overlook the small stuff. Be sure your contact information, website, address, etc. are correct.
- Follow directions. We repeat, follow directions.
- Use the forms that are provided and do not change the formatting.
- If you feel your proposal is in the weeds, you probably are. If you remove the sentence, will your point still be made?
- Thoughtfully consider your target audience and ensure it aligns with your organization’s mission.
For more information, or to apply for a grant, please visit our Grants & Scholarships page here.